Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Red and Yellow kill a fellow....

Monday evening (between rain storms) we took the girls for a walk. They love to explore.....they picked up pine cones and acorns, compared them with each others, and talked nonstop. On the way back, we saw a coral snake trying to climb a tree. Of course I didn't have my camera...so found this picture. Kamryn just asked a few minutes earlier if it is too cold for snakes now, and B and I both said no. The girls had never seen this kind of snake and aren't afraid of anything. We stood there watching it from just a couple feet away until Brian decided to try and catch it, scaring it away.

There is a little saying that goes "Red and yellow kill a fellow, red and black, friend of Jack." I don't know who Jack is, I'm just saying....
If the red and yellow colors of the snake are not separated by black, then he is highly poisonous. If black is between the red and yellow, it isn't even a coral snake, therefore is not harmful at all. Just in case you ever wondered that....

Here's what he looked like-but he was prettier in real life. His colors were vibrant and distinct. The girls and I thought he was beautiful!

1 comment:

Mrs. H said...

Growing up we saw several of these at the house!