I have become Granny's "go-to" Christmas elf for her Christmas tree decorating. I actually enjoy it very much. She makes us each feel needed in her own special way. Why it must be put up on November 7th, I have no idea, but we do what Granny asks with a smile. This year marks the 2nd annual decorate-Granny's-tree day. Friday evening I rushed home to put on a Christmas shirt (long sleeve was all I had....OMG the stifling heat of Granny & PaPa's house nearly caused a heat stoke) and matching socks that said "Ho Ho Ho" all over them with lovely red flats. I knew Granny would be pleased; and yes, she was. Especially with the shoes!!
I needed BT to haul in the tree but he was summonsed to wrap a pipe in the barn first.
Let me tell you a little about Granny's tree last year. I truly did the best I could do with what I had to work with. She purchased the tree from her long time friend for $20.00. It must be said that her friend is legally blind and it was obvious that Granny did not open the box and inspect her purchase in advance. The tree was missing approximately 1/3 of it's limbs. There were gaping holes throughout the tree. Thankfully, Granny never throws anything away, so we had tons of artificial red poinsettias to stuff in the bare spots. Granny was convinced Mrs. R. gave her a great deal....I tried to convince her to take it back and get a refund. She wouldn't have it. She loved her tree.
So this year I was so excited to hear that Krystal gave Granny her old tree. Yeah!
This tree would be great!! This tree, along with the new ornaments Granny has been purchasing throughout the year will make this tree the best yet!
Ok, so BT finished his honeydo's outside and brought in the tree. The base was little wobbly, and with the dozens of grandchildren that grace Granny and PaPa's home at Christmas, BT and I decided to Duck Tape it for added stability. We asked Granny for the tape and she replied " OK honey, let me get it out of the fridge." The refrigerator. Yes. Granny keeps all her tape in the refrigerator. Sure enough, the roll of Duck Tape was nice and cool.
So a couple hours later, we finish the tree. I must say it is beautiful. I'm so glad Granny and PaPa are proud of it. She wanted to be sure it would be ready for the family to see at Thanksgiving, and it is. Here it is!
1 comment:
Oh, I can just see the smile on Granny's sweet face! Thank you for being the Christmas Tree Decorator! I heard it is beautiful!
Post a Comment