Thursday, January 15, 2009

General Contractors Beware!!

I am not the world's best driver. I have, however, only been involved in one accident, approximately 9 years ago and ended up breaking an elderly ladies nose, but it wasn't my fault! It's a miracle that I don't have an accident everyday. Daily, I have a near miss. My car even has a back-up camera and I still barely miss cars (and pedestrians) every time I back up.
Last Friday was no different. Except I had an audience. Lovely.
Many of you know our bank is in a travel trailer while the real bank is under construction. We have workers and supplies scattered about all the time and it's like an obstacle course. Apparently just to me, no one else has these problems.
Well Friday as I was leaving the camper, I hit something. Pretty hard. I just knew it was the Hispanic man building something in that vicinity and jumped out on my car, 4 inch heels and all, to save him from my recklessness.
He was fine. It was the project he was building that was destroyed. There were cones trapped under my car along with boards, plywood, and something resembling fiberglass crushed underneath my tires. I was so relieved it wasn't the worker. All I could think is that this bank will never be done if I run over a contractor!! I apologized over and over again even though I don't think he understood me. Then he and Dan had to direct me off the curb in a way that would not further damage the underside of my car. Thank goodness I drive an SUV and not a car. Did I mention that while all this is happening the staff of the RV was looking out the teller windows laughing? Yes, they were. By the time I returned to my office, Theresa was rolling on the floor laughing hysterically with the phone on her ear. Thanks to the staff watching....I believe this is the only time I've seen Theresa cry without Dan being the cause. The tellers said that as soon as I drove away the laborer started throwing the debris and cursing me in Spanish. Poor little fellow. He hates me. I'm sure he worked on it for days and I crushed it. I feel terrible. The lease is up on my car soon. I hope no one inspects the undercarriage.
Adios, amigos!

No comments: