My mother-in-law noticed last night that Ken is trying(struggling, actually) to write right-handed. This is a concern because she is left-handed. No one else in my house is, and we have never thought twice about it. It is no big deal for us. Ken even said that she is "supposed" to write with her right hand. We corrected her and said she can write with whichever hand she chooses. Learning to read and write is a challenge in itself without throwing in this and making her feel insecure about it.
So this morning when I dropped her off at pre-k I asked her teacher if she is being taught to write right-handed. Sure enough, she has been. Poor little thing has been struggling. Last night she was trying just to learn how to hold the pencil in her right hand. This is just not OK. I was floored. I stearnly told the teacher that Ken is left-handed and will not be taught to write with her right hand. She apologized and said she never noticed Ken is left-handed and will not be forced to use her right hand. How could her teacher not recognize this?! I'm just appaled.
I did some research this morning.
Did you know that only 7-10% of our population is left-handed and the majority of those are male, therefore leaving a very minute number of left-handed females?
* 4 of 5 of the designers that created the original MacIntosh computer were left-handed.
* Left-handed people can see underwater easier than right-handed people, therefore excel in swimming.
* Left-handed people excel at Tennis, e.g. Martina Navratilnova is a lefty.
* There is a Lefthanders Day-Aug. 13th
* Left-handed people are known to be more intelligent, better looking, more imaginative, and have more multiple talents then right-handed people.
Check out all these amazing people that are (or were) left-handed:
Ted Koppel Sir Paul McCartney
Prince William Queen Mother
Hans Christian Anderson Leonardo De Vinci
Charlie Chaplin Billy The Kid
Julius Caesar Winston Churchill
George Bush Bill Clinton
Aristotle
Alexander The Great
Joan of Arc Judy Garland
Ronald Raegan Goldie Hawn
Drew Barrymore Jim Carey Mozart
Actually, many of our past presidents were left-handed. I've only listed a few.
I realize this is a rather long, rambling entry, but I am truly upset about this. I feel so bad for Ken and hope her teacher embraces her left-handedness. Girls have so much to worry about as it is and she will, in her life time, be insecure about so many things; this is just unacceptable.
http://www.lefthandersday.com/
Friday, November 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Good for you! I can't believe they would make her write with her right hand either...and I have a hard time believing that they didn't notice that she was left handed...whatever!
Post a Comment