Friday, November 12, 2010

Work in Progress

   Yesterday I was driving, listening to KLOVE, and they shared a wonderful message. I always hear people say, "God doesn't give you more than you can handle," which I know is not true and is no where in the Bible. Go ahead and look. It's not.

   The lady on KLOVE said it perfectly. She said that saying is a lie. Simple as that. God absolutely will give you more than you can handle and walk along side you while your back breaks and your knees buckle until you realize you can't do it on your own and you have to turn to Him for help. That could be the whole point. We can't do everything, or anything, on our own and often think we can and forgo having an intimate relationship with Christ, then complain that things don't go our way. It isn't our way that things need to go, after all,  and perhaps if we turn to Him like we are supposed to our lives won't fall into such shambles.

"I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me." John 14:6

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amanda, This is so true.....growing up with Godly influences like my grandparents, it was always understood that we could do anyting WITH God beside us. However, rarely do I recall anyone actually saying the last of that statment. Younger Christians and non-believers need to hear us say the implied part.

"With God", anyting is possible. I can do all things "through Christ" who strengthens me. "The Lord" will not give me more than I can handle with "His help". Whether it is straight scripture or sayings inspired by the Word, I know God is happiest when we recognize and give Him the praise. -Elise

Anonymous said...

You're right, Amanda. I've heard that phrase my entire life. I did not grow up learning about God and His love for all of us. These things were learned outside the family, sad to say. Being in my early 40's when I was actually saved and baptized, it was a feeling I never expected. To be loved for myself. I accepted the Lord, Jesus as my savior and trust in Him with all my heart. My love and learning of Him is mostly learned from my mother and father- in-law. Now I understand that I married whom He intended me to marry so that His word would be delivered to me through them. Sometimes the blessings bring me to tears. I am so grateful to Him for His many blessings.....You and your sister being among them. Love...unconditionally...Momma

Anonymous said...

the actual verse is this : 1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.

Anonymous said...

Corinthians is a great book of the Bible, written by a man that never waivered from his faith in Christ once he found it, but it is about temptation and being tested. My post about having more than we can handle doesn't have to do with temptation, although things we are given to deal with do cause us to be tempted to waiver from our faith in God. I was mainly talking about things such as disabilities, death- things like that that aren't temptations but can definately give us the excuse to sucome to temptation if that is what we choose to do, but hey....who really needs an excuse?

Amanda